08 November 2008

Wisdom

Whatever wisdom may be,
it is far off and most profound—
who can discover it? - Ecclesiastes 7:24

In the past two days or so, I have, I think, been overwhelmed by my own lack of wisdom. It's really a very naked and embarrassing feeling-- mainly because there have definitely been points in my life where I have literally thought to myself, "Sure, I'm sort of wise. I have some wisdom." I can't even laugh at that today. I'm really just embarrassed. (And I'm not talking about knowledge-- that would be something else entirely-- I'm already floored by how much I don't know. To approach that mass of knowledge that is not mine-- that is to say, things I don't know yet-- is like approaching a mountain, high and heavy, grave in its enormity.)

And when I am feeling like my lack of wisdom has been revealed, at least to myself, how, then, to give others counsel? I'm put in that position (the position of dispensing advice) with alarming regularity. Scripture says over and over again that God will provide wisdom when it is needed, because the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom anyway-- but that's a difficult position to be in: namely, the position of recognizing that the wisdom I have to offer is a joke and a sham without the help of the Holy Spirit. James says earthly and unspiritual wisdom comes from jealousy and selfish ambition-- and that it results in disorder and vileness. I would agree. Bad advice does serious damage. But he mentions heavenly wisdom in the next verse-- and this has kind of been my life verse for this semester:

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. - James 3:17

That's what I want. Earthly wisdom trips over its own tangles-- ulterior motives, insincerity, apathy, judgment. But the kind of wisdom I desire, the kind of wisdom described in James 3, is earnest and honest in its application, but not overly sure of itself; delivered in humility, but with solidity of conviction; prayerful in its consideration; and rooted in the truth of God, but aware of the inherent limitations of context. Good humor, too, I believe, is an essential ingredient, paired with an astute sensitivity for when to be serious. And underlying all of that, a foundation of mercy and love.

I can see how far away I am from that from here-- there are miles and miles to go, and I tread so slowly. On days such as these, in fact, I feel as if I'm going backwards. But "he who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6)-- I can at least stand on, or walk in, that.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. - Proverbs 9:10

2 comments:

kirbylee said...

Like I said the other day,
realizing and appreciating your own lack of wisdom is like stretching the canvas, if you will (and i know you will). It's like a picture of purity, because once you rid yourself of false-wisdom, the Holy Spirit can pour out His wisdom onto others through you.

Lauren said...

I thought of you this morning - I was reading the book of Daniel over, and his combined wisdom and humility stood out to me as a beautiful example of the way wisdom can glorify God, and how it is so fundamentally God-given to begin with. Every sentence of the book that references wisdom on Daniel's part also includes something along the lines of "and God gave Daniel wisdom... intelligence... good health..." whatever. And Daniel always redirects the credit to God.
It's really beautiful. :)