"Because I can’t afford to pay
for most of what i say
So it’s a lucky thing
that the truth’s public domain
...
And I am like a mockingbird
I’ve got no new song to sing
and i am like an amplifier
I just tell you what I've heard
Oh, I’m like a mockingbird"
- Derek Webb, from Mockingbird
"Escritoire" was cute-- I don't think I ever explained it. It's a funky word for "little writing desk." But as I have become more familiar with my own blogging habits, I have realized that my typical format of presenting another, deeper thinker's ideas and then explicating them deserves to be addressed in the title of the blog itself. This is not really a "journal," though I do flatter myself by relating the beautiful and intricate ideas of writers such as C. S. Lewis and Madeleine L'Engle to my daily life. And so this song by Derek Webb seemed appropriate. Truly, I "can't afford to pay / for most of what I say"-- I merely parrot. Or in nicer terms-- I'm a mockingbird.
Courtesy of RELEVANT Magazine, download the live version of "Mockingbird."
26 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So does this mean that I can change the name of my blog to "Escritoire"?
But don't be all take inspiration from the things we have taken in, whether it be of another human's work, or God's?
Either way, I like both names. :) And I don't think you're unoriginal or uninteresting - I like to read what you think.
Post a Comment